When you reach the teenage years, multiple new risks become available that can damage your smile. Although the social status of mouth jewelry is what often pulls people into its grasp, be aware that lip and tongue rings can do serious damage to your oral health.
For a better understanding of the basics of mouth jewelry, listed below are some important facts to bear in mind:
– Mouth jewelry, especially tongue jewelry, can cause permanent nerve damage when applied.
– Mouth jewelry can make daily cleaning routines more difficult and less effective.
– Due to open wounds caused by mouth jewelry, your risk for oral infections increases, including the risk for serious infections such as hepatitis or endocarditis.
– Due to the size of most mouth jewelry, they are constant choking hazards that, if broken off, could put your life in danger.
– Mouth jewelry that contains hard plastic or metal pieces can easily swing around and chip and crack teeth.
– Some individuals may be allergic to the materials in a lip or tongue ring.
– Oftentimes, individuals find themselves playing with their mouth jewelry with their tongue, which can swing around the pieces and increase your risk for tooth enamel or gum damage.
Don’t delay in visiting our team at Dental Associates of Manchester if you are suffering from dental damage due to mouth jewelry. To schedule an appointment with our dentists and team in Manchester, Iowa, please call us at 563-927-4746. We would love to bring you in for an oral exam and make teeth and gums as good as new!